Saturday, May 17, 2014

REVIEW/ Batman Child of Dreams & Superman Red Son

During my post surgery stay in the hospital, it gave me time to actually settle down and finish up the graphic novels I've acquired over the past months.

This is a double review, Batman Child of Dreams & Superman Red Son. DISCLAIMER: I don't write these reviews just to stoke my nerdy ego, its just I really dig the comic culture and reading in general. So if you think this is biased whatsoever, well you're probably either a writer for LA Weekly or "movie critic" for VICE. If so, well go fornicate a rusty knife.

Anyways, my first read is Batman Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya. This is a Batman tale in the style of Japanese manga.
The synopsis is a Japanese reporter trying to hook an interview with the Bats and weird things start to occur during her arrival in Gotham. Doppelgangers and drugs are rampant in Gotham and Batman will get to the root of the problem even if it leads all the way back to Japan.

Overall, I really liked the mix of Japanese styled art and the Dark Knight, the story was a great throwback to classic manga and the action scenes are way cool, and I dig the unique character design and intros. Its a quick read, not for anyone to just to pick up however but if you're a fan of anime then this is a boom for you.

Next up on my review is Superman Red Son by Mark Millar (Kick Ass, Wanted). This story has been in the works since 1995, and the wait is worth it. The storyline is classic Superman origins with a "red" twist meaning that the classic tale told in a great what if  scenario; where Superman crash landed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas.

Superman keeps his values of protection of humanity yet struggling with being Stalin's and Communism's poster boy. Not only that, but there's also the side stories of Lex Luthor, his wife Lois Lane er, I mean Lois Luthor. Batman also makes a cameo along with Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. The drawing styles are top notch, the plot is well written, and the comic's rich in hidden treasures. 

I suggest both these books highly and are both rather enjoyable if you're into variant story telling.

537

No comments:

Post a Comment